Thursday, January 13, 2011

*******The Power of Words*******

In light of the most recent Horrific and Devastating shooting spree in Arizona, I was moved to speak about the power of words. Throughout the Bible the power of the tongue is covered in many places. I want to first list how harmful the tongue can be by quoting James 3: 2-12,  We all stumble in many ways. Anyone who is never at fault in what they say is perfect, able to keep their whole body in check.
 3 When we put bits into the mouths of horses to make them obey us, we can turn the whole animal. 4 Or take ships as an example. Although they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are steered by a very small rudder wherever the pilot wants to go.
5 Likewise, the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. 6 The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole body, sets the whole course of one’s life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell.
 7 All kinds of animals, birds, reptiles and sea creatures are being tamed and have been tamed by mankind, 8 but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison.
 9 With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God’s likeness. 10 Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be. 11 Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? 12 My brothers and sisters, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water.


The reason I am so compelled to bring this to light is because we tend to forget that though the tongue is small it's reach is tremendous. One wrong word can trigger a incomprehensible reaction that can carry through nations, as did Hitlers words which slaughtered many 100,000's of people; it's mind boggling that one man's word, could have such impact on complete strangers, who gave credence to the words of one small man and not just in stature but in mind, as well.

Many people are saying that Sarah Palin's words sparked this man's action, we can't answer that; however, we can agree that when words of violence are spoken, violence evokes violence. I am not judging what choices have been made, but I am reminding myself as well as others, that we never know what someone is truly feeling or thinking, I try very hard, though I fail at times, as does everyone, to try and remember that I would rather my words be the words that bring someone peace , understanding and comfort, then be the one whose words caused the last straw to break and push someone over the edge.

"The Old Geezer" a blog I follow talked about " Common Courtesy" or lack there of this week, and there was an overwhelming response. I think that ties into the power of the tongue. He asked his readers how they responded when someone is rude to them? The answers ran the gamut, with most people though, happily responding that they returned the behavior with kindness.

Which brings me to Colossians 4: 5-6, 5Conduct yourselves with wisdom toward outsiders, making the most of the opportunity. 6Let your speech always be with grace, as though seasoned with salt, so that you will know how you should respond to each person.

The same way in which the power of the tongue can destroy it can rebuild. I know, I myself struggle all the time when I forget to ask the Holy Spirit to guide my words and grant me the strength to call upon Him to answer and not my earthly mind.

President Obama gave one of the best speeches in my opinion since he took office last night. He spoke of coming together, not pointing blame but to remember to be kind to those we love and to our neighbors, and  most importantly; remember to tell those who are important to you, that you love them everyday, not just sometimes or often but everyday; again the power of words.

He spoke of being a shining example of what that little nine-year-old girl, who just became part of the Student Body in her school,  was so excited and full of HOPE about growing up and making a difference in her country. His WORDS brought people to their feet and tears to their eyes, because he was renewing their faith in the power we have as people to make this world a better place.

When we speak as God has instructed and act as He has asked "Love your neighbor as you would yourself." Our world begins to mirror His divine plan.

I know that for me, watching the lives of the people who were lost over the weekend in Arizona has breathed air into my flame of light so that it may shine even more brightly amongst the darkness, and I hope that each of you will share your thoughts as well if you got to see any of the speech, and if not, than perhaps just rereading these two Bible quotes will give you confirmation of what we already know, though, at times this little thing called life clouds our memories, all we need do, is call upon the Grace that we carry within everyday...God Bless you all, have a fruitful week, and may God keep you in His loving embrace... Patricia©

13 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post! Words are very powerful and I am sure if we could see past this dimension that we live in we could see the pathway our words make. Going on a prayer walk and praying out loud can change the atmosphere around us. Speaking the powerful names of God shakes the heavens and Satan has to flee.
    I wrote 3 posts on the power of our words, you might be interested in reading them.

    When my daughter was studying 1st year university physics at home she lead me to some very interesting information on the energy waves of words and the 4th dimension. I am very interested in learning more about this but haven't found any information yet. I guess I need to take a degree in physics if I wish to learn more. ;P

    Thanks for sharing this post and like I said I truly believe there is more to our words than we know. After all Jesus healed with a spoken word.

    God Bless,
    <><

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't even know what to say....you have said it all. All I can say is Amen...and may I be conscience of everything that comes out of my mouth.

    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is little more powerful than words. I did not get to hear the speech but if I can find it online I will listen to it. We This is a great post. Hugs and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I strongly believe words can bring good, or bad. It is quite amazing that you did a post about this today, because earlier I was just talking to someone on this subject.

    God Bless!!!

    Lon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in His sight..Great post and reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great post Patricia! Words can be so very powerful. It brings to mind the old adage: "think before you speak." I missed the President's speech but I am sure I will be able to find it online.

    I hope you have a fabulous weekend!

    ~ Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also missed the presidents speech,but I dont know if he said it any better than you did! thanks for sharing,and reminding us of the power of our words,good or bad!Blessings,jane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for this -- a timely and much-needed reminder. We so often make "off the cuff" comments that are truly hurtful. I am going to remember to keep this in mind.

    President Obama is right; let's use this opportunity to come together in love. Only love can drive out hate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Bible also tells us we will be held accountable for everything we say...so yes...we should be careful. I am glad you wrote this post...it needs to be brought to the attention of everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. President Obama showed himself again for what he truly is - a fundamentally decent person who wants the best for our country and the world. He is a true leader, not a fake or phoney politician. Why people have demonized him, I don't know. The world is full of hatred, I guess that's the reason. I was inspired by his words, his demeanor, and his sincerity.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Patricia, thank you for an excellent post about the Arizona tragedy from a Christian perspective.

    God bless and have a great week :-)

    ~Ron

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post Patricia. Often it is to come out and say what you wanted to say with out thinking. At times without thinking it can come out wrong or not exactly what we meant to say. But it speaks to the heart of the matter about a person. A pastor once said "I don't have to know the person, I know him by what comes out of his mouth."

    Jesus said:
    "What comes out of a man, that defiles a man. For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders, thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lewdness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness. All these evil things come from within and defile a man." (Mark 7:20-23)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have always had an Amazing way with words! As I sit here and think back...wayyy back..lol I knew I was so lucky to have you as my friend...When something was going on in my life and I needed to talk to someone ...it was always you I turned to because... You always said just the right thing......I know how lucky I was having you in my life... Now the world will also know... through your words. Don't Stop... God needs you to pass his words through yours! Love ya bff

    ReplyDelete